For the 2021-2022 school year, face coverings are optional for students and employees. Parents who prefer to have their child[ren] not wear a mask inside the school building must submit the DHEC form linked on the school district’s website. You can also view the form by clicking here. Please note, CDC currently recommends that all employees and students who have not been vaccinated wear a mask. All visitors are required to wear facemasks. The district will continue to monitor the COVID-19 data in our community and adjust protocols as needed.
The face covering requirement, as it relates to students and staff on school buses, has not changed per the President’s executive order.
Students who should NOT be required to wear face coverings:
- those younger than two years old;
- those who have trouble breathing;
- those unable to remove the covering without assistance; and/or
- those with special healthcare or educational needs as determined by an Individualized Education Program (IEP), 504 Accommodations Plan, or an individual student healthcare plan, or by a medical doctor.
- Younger students (pre-kindergarten-2nd grade)
- Students, teachers, and staff with severe asthma or other breathing difficulties
- Students, teachers, and staff with special educational or healthcare needs
Staff members, including bus drivers, who have trouble breathing and/or those with special healthcare needs as noted by a medical doctor should NOT be required to wear face coverings. All face masks must adhere to the Sumter School District Dress Code. No inappropriate symbols, pictures, language, or messages can be displayed.
Recommendations for wearing face masks correctly:
- Wash your hands before putting on your face covering.
- Put it over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin.
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
- Masks should be washed regularly, inspected for damage, and discarded and replaced when damaged.
- Masks should be stored in a clean, dry location, and they should never be shared.
- Do not put the face covering around your neck or up on your forehead.
- Do not touch the face covering, and if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect.