On Wednesday, January 8, 2020, it was announced that for the second year in a row Millwood had been named to the South Carolina School Improvement Council Honor Roll. Millwood’s School Improvement Council (SIC) joins nine other schools from around the state who are now in the running for the 2020 Dick and Tunky Riley Award for School Improvement Council Excellence.
“Created in 2002, the annual Dick and Tunky Riley Award for School Improvement Council Excellence was created to acknowledge the significant contributions made to public education by the over 13,000 School Improvement Council (SIC) members who volunteer on the more than 1,100 SICs across South Carolina. The Riley Award is named in honor of former SC Governor and US Education Secretary Richard Riley and his late wife, Tunky, and recognizes the couple’s longstanding commitment to quality public education.” – https://sic.sc.gov
Here is a list of all the schools who advanced to Level Two judging round for the Riley Award: (in alphabetical order)
- Academic Magnet High (Charleston County School District)
- Bluffton Middle (Beaufort County School District)
- Bookman Road Elementary (Richland School District Two)
- Chapin Middle (School District Five of Richland and Lexington Counties)
- Flowertown Elementary (Dorchester School District Two)
- Millwood Elementary (Sumter School District)
- Pine Grove Elementary (Richland School District One)
- Pontiac Elementary (Richland School District Two)
- Round Top Elementary (Richland School District Two)
- St. James High (Horry County School District)
Dr. Leach would like to thank all SIC members for making our School Improvement Council a success.
For additional information about the award process, please visit the SIC’s web page at: https://sic.sc.gov/sic-information/sics-sic-leaders/apply-riley-award
The top five finalists will be announced by March 2, 2020.